This would be an interesting survey to give your high school boys. There is also a girl version. The information comes from an article in the Gentleman’s Journal entitled 20 Things that Make a Man a Gentleman ( https://www.thegentlemansjournal.com/20-things-make-man-gentleman/) It has a lot to do with manners, consideration of others and presentation. It may lead to an interesting discussion. I don’t think our students see men like this on TV, videos or in the movies.
Are You a Gentleman
A Simple Yes or No Will Do
Read the qualities of a gentleman then mark Y if you demonstrate those qualities of N if you do not demonstrate those qualities
Y/N Boys, Do You agree or disagree? Girls, Do You Know any Guys Like This?
1. A gentleman is someone who does not do what he wants to do, but what he should do.” Haruki Murakami – Norwegian Wood
2. A gentleman never tells:
No gossiping, spreading rumors or running others down – a real gent always protects the integrity of both himself and people around him.
3. A gentleman knows that anything worth having is worth working hard for:
Shortcuts and free rides have no place in a gentleman’s world. You only get what you give, and rightly so.
4. A gentleman knows how to dance:
Two left feet is never, ever a good look, and a real gentleman knows it. Learning to dance well is also not that hard.
5. A gentleman always RSVPs:
It’s more than simple courtesy. If there are pending invitations, being thoughtful and responding is only the fair thing to do.
6. A gentleman knows the difference between confidence and arrogance:
A confident man will keep good posture and will be respectful to those around him. He makes eye contact with those around him and is willing to learn from others. He will not be loud and talk about himself.
7. A gentleman is open-minded but firm in his beliefs:
Principles are always held onto and respected, whether they’re his own or others’.
8. A gentleman ruins his girlfriend’s lipstick, not her mascara:
The only tears he should make her cry are those of joy.
9. A gentleman never lies to a woman (unless it’s to surprise her):
A true gent makes it a point to always stay loyal, faithful and honest to his significant other.
10. A gentleman means what he says and says what he means:
He is straight at you no BS.
11. For a lady, a gentleman always offers his seat and opens the door:
It’s a time honored gentlemanly gesture of care and affection.
12. A gentleman never judges:
He knows that judging a person does not define who they are, it defines who he is.
13. A gentleman has a firm handshake and always makes eye contact
14. A gentleman always offers his coat to a lady:
Sacrificing one’s comfort for that of a lady projects both attentiveness, selflessness and earns bunches of extra credit points
15. A gentleman knows how to cook:
Being able to prepare one good, full meal should be the bare minimum.
16. A gentleman always walks a woman home:
Few things show her that you care more than making sure she’s always home safe and sound.
17. A gentleman always offers to pay:
I’ve got this” —is an important phrase in a gentleman’s lexicon
2. Would you like to know a young man/teenage boy who has these character traits? explain your answer.
3. Pick the top 5 character traits you would like in your boyfriend.
4. Does your boyfriend have any of these characteristics? If you don’t have a boyfriend, does your brother (if you don’t have these, pick a boy you know in class or a male teacher) have any of these characteristics?